Tips to help keep your countertops looking good for years to come!
Here are some helpful tips to care for your granite countertop.
Stone is made of natural minerals that may react adversely to cleaning chemicals and acids not intended for stone care use. Particular varieties of natural stone consist mainly of calcium carbonate and are extremely sensitive to acid (limestone & marble). This is the reason why fruit juices, wine and harsh chemicals must be removed from the surface of the stone immediately. Use a clean rag for best results. Too much cleaner or soap may leave a film and cause streaks. Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar or other acids on the granite the high acid content may etch the surface. Rinse the surface thoroughly after washing with the soap solution and dry with a soft cloth. Change the rinse water frequently. Do not use scouring powders or creams; these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface.
- Do dust surfaces frequently
- Do clean surfaces with specially formulated granite cleaner
- Do thoroughly rinse and dry the surface after washing
- Do blot up spills immediately
- Don’t use vinegar, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids.
- Don’t use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, group cleaners or tub & tile cleaners.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- Don’t mix bleach and ammonia; this combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.